Sunday, November 11, 2007

Whimsy

The Art-Whimsical category is sort of a grab-bag of things that don't always quite go together. I suspect that it's meant to be that way. Primarily it's a place to put the intentionally comical quilts - there are always quite a few of those, but then you also get the ones like the 1st-place winner which are belong more in a fantasy universe and less in a funny one:

Woodland Story

I guess you could call this whimsical, but it's a very mainstream sort of whimsy, fairies and all that - I really think I would have put it in some other category. Mixed technique? Embellished? Somewhere like that.

"Woodland Story" (above) made by Elizabeth Dillinger of Ontario; winner of first prize in the category Art-Whimsical at IQF 2007.


Second prize is considerably more whimsical, although I wouldn't call it outright funny, either:

Vertigo

"Vertigo" (above) made by Kathy York of Austin, Texas; winner of second prize in the category Art-Whimsical at IQF 2007.


I really was going to make this longer and add more quilts but I am suddenly very sleepy. I will have to post the rest tomorrow.

No comments: