Thursday, November 15, 2007

Insane, or Bewitched?

Compare and contrast:
Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered (detail)
(Whole thing is here)

Insane Sampler

I just happened to notice that these two were the same pattern because I was looking at the flickr activity page - but two different people had favorited them, so I'm not sure if one (or both) of them had caught it or if it was just a coincidence!

"Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered" (top) made by V. Wayne Sneath and Jim Sherburne, of Illinois; IQF 2007. "Insane Sampler" (bottom) made by Mary Ellen Zeitz of South Windsor, Connecticut; from IQF 2006.


And another thing: someone posted on one of my Livejournal groups this morning saying that one of these quilts (the one on the left, I believe) was stolen a week or so ago. That's sad, and sort of odd. Is there something particularly valuable about that particular quilt?

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Value is all in the eye of the beholder... (& the provenance that it hung in the SI - although how could you sell it?)

And as far as the NI quilt goes (& DJ & samplers in general as far as I am concerned) neither one does anything for me... I can definately appreciate the time & effort & fabric selections, but I like to see some secondary designs & samplers don't play that way...

Then there are people who are drawn to certain colors... I know quite a few people who do not care for the warm colors - but love the blues - irrespective of the pattern.

Mel said...

What I was wondering, value-wise, was why that particular quilt? Apparently they only took the one! It didn't appear to be an antique or anything like that. Makes me wonder if it was some sort of inside job, really.

I am not a big fan of samplers in general, either, but I like those particular samplers more than most. I think the small size and the setting makes the blocks hang together as a set better than most others. As far as the colors... I like both of them. In years past I would have zoomed in on the blue but I have developed a definite liking for earth tones. I called the Kaffe-Fassett-ish color scheme of that bubble quilt a couple of posts back "my colors" but the truth is that I'm not sure I have colors any more. I like everything. (I am still definitely partial to brights, though.)