Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chinese Coins


Chinese Coins, originally uploaded by Mellicious.


I don't know for sure that "Chinese Coins" is the name of this quilt, but it's what popped into my head when I looked at the picture, so it might be. (Or might not, you never know about my memory.) I don't know who made it, either - this is another one of those 1998 pictures, from back before I ever knew I would be putting all these pictures up on the web for all to see someday. Anyway, I like this. Sort of Chinese Coins in watercolor. And then those diagonal lines going across it, to make it more interesting.

Watercolor was very big in 1998. I think I have a couple more pictures of watercolor quilts that haven't made their way to Flickr yet.

2 comments:

Michael5000 said...

I used to loooooove watercolor... it was looking at watercolor quilts that first interested me in quilting, actually.

But nowadays, I guess I only like watercolor quilts. It doesn't seem like the idea has aged especially well.

This is a nice piece, though.

Mel said...

1998 was when I was first getting into quilting, really. I think I made my first quilt in '97, and was maybe making my second one around this time. Those first watercolor books must've come out a while before this, because I remember there were lots of them at the show that year. I thought I wanted to make one until I watched my mother do hers - one little bitty square at a time. Then I gave up on that idea.

And yeah, I don't think all of them have aged all that well. But this one still looks pretty fresh.