Monday, June 18, 2007

Blocks & layouts


jacob's ladder?, originally uploaded by Mellicious.


I was trying to figure out the name of this block - it's not a Jacob's Ladder, is it? I think Jacob's Ladder looks sort of like this but is more complex. Anyway, this seems to be the block in the Victorian Ladies quilt. (Look a couple of entries down.) And then it is sashed with the same kind of block that you would use in a Storm at Sea Quilt - which is what I think of as a Peaky and Spikeblock - and that's what makes the stars. And the ladies themselves are the sashing squares. Does that make sense?

(I don't know if you normally do it differently if you're making a Storm at Sea quilt, but the way I know to make a block like the sashing blocks is to use a tri-recs tool. Which is what I used for the units in my quilt, too, but they are an alternate block rather than a sashing there.)


Aside: Does anybody have EQ6? Is it notably more user-friendly than EQ5? Because I played around with this in EQ5, and I did get as far as making this little block, but I couldn't figure out how to put the block into a layout, and I ended up just getting frustrated. Which is pretty much what happens every time I try to use it.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

EQ6 is definitely an improvement on EQ5, though it could still be more user-friendly. I've always thought it would work better if it was set up more like graphic design software. Anyway, it's worth playing with the program for a while--it took me some practice, but now I design quilts faster than I can make them.

Judy H. said...

The Victorian Ladies looks to me like a 54-40 or Fight block alternated with a block with the same star, but snowball corners?

The Calico Cat said...

A. No that is not Jacob's Ladder.
B. I think the Victorian Ladies is a 2 block quilt, one peaky & spike star with 4 patches in the corners next to a peaky & spike star with HST's in the corners...

C. Jacob's Ladder has this arrangement of 4 patches and HST's
Here is a picture on 1 block in my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65592515@N00/417808299/in/set-72157594584612582/

Quilting Pirate said...

E6 is a BIG YES! I've used EQ since 3 and it has always been rough and not user friendly...EQ6 is the most user friendly yet!

Anonymous said...

EQ6 - Yes! I use it all the time! But there are a lot of tips and tricks that aren't obvious on the surface. The companion books that you can buy are worth it. They make you work through projects so that you learn all of the tools. If you have any questions, let me know. I used to teach classes on it.

Mel said...

C.C., I guess that really the Victorian Ladies quilt could be put together either one of those two ways - the two-block quilt was what I originally was thinking, and then all of a sudden I started seeing it this other way! There's really no way to be sure unless we could ask Angelique how she did it.

I still think that little block has a name - Road to someplace, maybe? (I tried to look it up but I've had no luck so far.)

I guess I will have to look into upgrading to EQ6 - thanks for the input, everybody!