Monday, May 30, 2005

Holiday

(That title gives me a Madonna earworm. Ouch.)

The strangest thing I figured out today? Way back in October when I said in this post (which I linked to yesterday) that I miscounted my blocks - I think that I was wrong. And actually I think the evidence of that is in the picture. Look on the right side a little bit below the center; there's a green leaf that's not in a green row and furthermore is turned the wrong direction. Evidently that's my missing 200th leaf. I'm kind of amazed that it took me all this time to realize that.

A question: do y'all think this quilt is good enough to submit to IQF? Because I'm thinking about it. It's cute and it's different - the block is not my own invention (it came from here, for those of you who haven't been reading all along) but the arrangement of the blocks is all mine. I've seen a lot of autumn leaf quilts and a lot of trip around the world quilts but I don't remember ever seeing one that was both. I feel like I've created something out of Mr Small's pattern that's at least a little bit original.

I only worked on this a little while today. I did go over to my mom's, but after lunch we all sat downstairs and watched baseball - the Astros lost again - and I whipped down a binding. So I didn't go upstairs where the machine is until after the game was over. I guess I worked for a couple of hours on the leaf quilt, maybe. Mostly the blocks are going together quite nicely, which they should, shouldn't they? since they're paper pieced - but there are a few exceptions. I did a good bit of ripping and re-sewing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's dazzling! You should enter it. You only live once, so go for it.
Any idea how you're going to quilt it?
KM

Anonymous said...

I say go ahead and submit it to IQF. After all, if it gets in, then I can say "one of my friends had a quilt at Houston". :) Would you have to have slides or do they ask for the quilts themselves like the Hoffman Challenge does? (I would have answered my own question but the Quilts Inc. site gives me a headache.)

Mel said...

I think you have to have slides. I've heard that some people have pictures taken professionally but no way I'm doing that. (Not unless I find a really cheap professional photographer, anyway!)

I'm still debating about the border, and then about how I'm going to quilt it. I'm doing leaves in each corner for the border, and then either chinese coins or just plain leaf fabric, I think. I'd have to find something I really liked a lot before I'd do that, though. As far as quilting - in the ditch would really be a lot of turning, but I'm not ready to rule it out. Seens like it might look nice that way.

Anonymous said...

Free motion quilt in the ditch, maybe?

I like your Chinese coins idea for the border--more to look at.