Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Primitive Stars


Primitive Stars
Originally uploaded by Mellicious.


Despite these totally not being my colors, I like this quilt. You don't see many quilts with cotton and wool in the same quilt, so that's a little different. (I seem to have the urge to do something in wool, anyway - I may have to make something like a penny rug eventually to get it out of my system.)

(I would also like to point out, though, that the quilt looks considerably darker in this picture than it does in the magazine. I thought for a minute that it might be a different version done in slightly different fabrics, but I think it's the same one and it's just the lighting.)

This quilt is from the new Quilt Sampler magazine (Quilt Sampler itself doesn't seem to have a website, which I think is really strange) and the quilt shop with this pattern is called Primitive Gatherings. It's a moot point, because they're all the way across the country from me and thus I'm not likely to be visiting anyway, but I am blown away by the thought of a quilt shop with no batiks, no brights and no whites. (Seriously, that's what they say in the article. Whites I could probably live without, but batiks and brights? No.) But they do have some cute things, I have to admit.

(I am toying with alternate star blocks to replace the cranberry/pink one that's not working for me, and the one above* would work. I ordered the other Carol Doak star book, though - the nine-patch one - and I'm waiting to see if anything there grabs me more.)






*Which appears to be the same as this one

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah gee.

Thought I'd come across a really fantastic blog called -

GUILTS GALORE

but alas, its

QUILTS GALORE

Someone needs to start a

GUILTS GALORE blog

It would get many reads eh?

Mel said...

Hee.

Yes, "Guilts Galore" would probably go over well. But somebody else will have to write it, sorry.