Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mom: don't read this!


Blue Oregon Trail
Originally uploaded by Mellicious.

Shown at the 2006 Lakeview Quilters Guild's Mayfest quilt show.


Seriously, Mom, if you happen to be reading, STOP HERE because I'm going to talk about Mother's Day gifts.

(I don't really think my mother reads my blog, even though I've given her the link. I'm just covering my bases. And if you're reading this and you know her, don't tell!)

I don't really talk about my personal life a lot here. It was a deliberate decision I made when I started Quilts Galore, to keep quilts and personal stuff more or less separate. It just seemed a lot less complicated that way. I don't have my real name on this blog - just mostly from general internet paranoia - but on the other hand I've never tried very hard to hide my real identity, either. If I'm going to show my own quilts, that would be virtually impossible.

But I have talked about my mother a good bit here, and some people that know one or both of us in real life read here, so a lot of the people that will read this either know my mother, or at least know a good bit about her, and somehow in my mind that seems to make this a more appropriate place to talk about Mother's Day gifts than my Livejournal, even though only a couple of things I bought this year are quilting-related.

1. Stroller Bag
For those of your who don't know my mother, she has cancer, and although the cancer is more-or-less dormant right now (it's not growing, at least, although the word "remission" has not been heard from any doctor that I know of), still, some combination of the cancer itself and/or the radiation/chemo cocktail of treatments has left her basically disabled. She uses a walker these days, and although she has a walker bag - that is, one that snaps on - it has an open top and I've heard her worrying about things falling out. So I bought her this one. I've bought a number of bags from this eBay seller (Cherry Pie Bags) and they are really well-made. (I have three of the regular tote bags, myself, in various prints, and Mom has one in a pink 30s print, too.)

2. Mother-of-pearl earrings
I'm not really sure the earrings were a good idea, just because she doesn't seem to be as interested in jewelry as she used to be. But I had some birthday money I wanted to spend on something frivolous for myself, and Jennifer Grove was having pretty good sale, and so while I was buying these slightly-flashy ones for me, I bought the nice elegant MOP ones for her.

3. Red Lace China
I've wanted to buy something from P.O.S.H. ever since I've known about them, just because I think they are cool. And my mother collects this kind of red china in various patterns AND she collects butter pats (what that website calls "butter chips" - the little bitty plates you put a slice of butter on) so this seemed perfect. I figured she could find a place for at least a couple of them. I bought one of the little one-ounce creamers, too.

4. big piece of pink backing fabric (no picture, sorry)
My mom uses a lot of pink, so I figured she'd be able to find a use for a couple of yards of pink marbled backing fabric. I bought it on fabric.com but they don't seem to have it any more - not unusual for them, things tend to come and go there.


Oh, and my mother-in-law? Is getting a big box of L'Occitane stuff. I figured I would share the addiction.

No comments: