Thursday, May 11, 2006

Page 36 - and more on gifts


Kindred Spirits' Page 36
Originally uploaded by Mellicious.

Shown at the 2006 Lakeview Quilters Guild's Mayfest quilt show.

From a bee challenge where the member was given a random magazine - no quilting magazines allowed! - and told to do their interpretation of what was on page 36 of that magazine.

---------------------------------

Back to Mother's Day gifts - the thing I meant to say and forgot was that I don't get my mother one big gift like some people do. (At least, they do if you believe the commercials. I heard one on the radio this morning saying to buy your mother a Cadillac!) My mother seems to prefer lots of small gifts over one big one. And really, up until the last couple of years I haven't had the money to spend very much on gifts, anyway - for a long time I didn't spend much more than $25 for a gift for anybody for any occasion; we just couldn't afford it. I generally spend more than that for occasions like Mother's Day now, but I still don't spend the kind of money some people seem to. I'm trying to get out of debt, not into more of it.

My mother also doesn't like cut flowers. She thinks they're a waste of money. Is my mother just weird, or are there other mothers who are like that?




(Edited to fix my own very obvious typo. Sigh.)

4 comments:

Kim West said...

About the cut flowers - not wierd. At least I hope not, because I hate cut flowers also and also believe they are a waste of money. Since I tend to have a "black thumb" with gardening, I don't ask for potted plants either. I would rather have fabric or something else than cut flowers.

Lily Mulholland said...

LOL I am the opposite - I love getting flowers! My clever darling husband buys me oriental lillies, as they are long lasting and don't smell the house out! I usually get 10 days to 2 weeks out of them and they really brighten up the place. In fact, there are some sitting on our counter now - an early mothers' day present!

And I just love that sunflower quilt. I'd love to make one just like it one day...

Anonymous said...

I also like getting flowers even if I have a garden full of roses. One birthday my hubby went out into the garden and got a vase full of about 15 huge roses and gave them to me, and I told myself they were roses I grew so it wasn't the same as him buying them. If your mom sews get lot's of thread and gadgets. I love that stuff to.

Mel said...

Actually, I like cut flowers too - although it does seem like a waste to me if they were terribly expensive. But my husband bought me a big bunch of daisies for our anniversary, and they lasted about a week and were terribly pretty, and presumably he did not spend a fortune on them, either. I think I'm just too frugal - if I know somebody spent $75 or more on flowers (which I understand is not unusual nowadays), all I can think about is what else I could've bought with that money. Which is not really an ideal reaction to a gift!