Saturday, July 30, 2005

Another Saturday night

(My Saturday nights are terribly exciting, let me tell you. We are watching Independence Day at the moment. Woo.)

The gift quilt went off yesterday via UPS 2-day, which means it will be there Tuesday. As soon as I find out they've actually gotten it, I can go public with the pictures that are currently hidden on flickr. (Actually some of the individual "congratulations" blocks are public, already, so you can see those if you want to look. Karen did those, on Printed Treasures fabric. You can see little hints of the sashing fabric here and there, but that's about it, so I couldn't see that I was giving a great deal away there. Surely the honeymooners are not checking my flickr page over the weekend, anyway!)

Today I worked on the exchange blocks, which are now due in a little over a month. I had 8 of 12 done already, plus some of the subunits. I got a 9th one done today, plus more subunits. For some reason I am having a terrible time getting accurate flying geese so I may resort to paper-piecing the rest of them. My mother finished hers a long time ago (of course), but she volunteered to make another 6 blocks for somebody who wasn't able to finish theirs so she was sorting her batiks in order to get started on those. (If you've seen all of those batik quilts she has made in the past, you can guess that she probably has a pretty good batik stash.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today's the day!

The quilting you did looks great--I especially could see it in the picture of the back you put up.

Oh, I got the safety pins; thank you. Since I haven't been doing any quilting lately, I totally forgot about them and was really puzzled about what you sent that sounded that way--I shook the envelope and pondered and never did guess.

Mel said...

Hee. I had already forgotten about the safety pins, myself!

I did the quilting in the cream areas with ivory rayon, and I used tan-colored thread in the bobbin, because I was afraid that if I used black it would show through on the front too much. The result is that it shows a LOT in the black areas of the back. I decided it looked sort of like heiroglyphics.