Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Too late!

I finally got around this morning to pulling up the rules and the entry form and stuff for IQF, since I was talking about entering the Autumn Leaves quilt - and the deadline is July 1. Oops. For some reason I thought it was more like August 1. Oh, well, there's always next year - and at the rate I've been going there was very little chance I would've had it anywhere near ready by the beginning of August, either. I have the gift quilt now, and it needs to get done more or less immediately. I put the binding on it Saturday and got most of one long side whipped down while we were watching baseball yesterday. (It's a BIG lap quilt - I think it must be around 70x55" - so whipping down the binding is no small task.) I decided to put the binding on and then do the additional quilting later, it gives me some extra time to think about how I want to quilt it. Karen quilted in the ditch around all the 5" subunits and the triangles on the Ohio Stars and the sashing, so all I have to do is quilt within the areas that are left.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you were thinking of the Hoffman Challenge? That deadline is August 5th. Since I haven't even bought any of this year's fabric yet, I don't think I'm going to do it this year, but I might surprise myself. I do like the ideas I've had for it (but of course I really liked my idea last year and that got me nowhere with the judges, so who can tell).

You're whipping that binding down by hand? Wow. That seems like a lot of work--I'd have used the machine for sure.

Mel said...

Hmmm, maybe that was it. I gave up on making a Hoffman Challenge quilt for this year a long time ago, though - that fabric didn't really speak to me (although I liked the colors).

I always whip bindings down by hand. Don't ask me why. It's practically the only handwork I ever do.