Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Remembering where I'm at!


Half-assembled leaf quilt
Originally uploaded by Mellicious.


I've got to get going on the leaf quilt again right away. This is one of the last pictures I took of it, although I know I'm further along than this. I think all of the leaves are at least sewn to other leaves but I can't remember whether everything is 100% assembled or not. I think I might have a seam or three to go. Then the border, which is mostly worked out and I think partially sewn together - it will be sort of a chinese coin arrangement.

I've got the back mostly together for the zipper quilt, and I'm thinking I should sort of go in assembly-line fashion on finishing both of them. Once I get the top finished for this one, and figure out about the backing (which shouldn't be as much of a problem, because it's not that big), then I think I will quilt one, quilt the other, sew the bindings onto both of them, and then I can work on whipping bindings down at home at night. That's not really my preferred way to work but I think it will go faster that way, and I'm going to have a time-crunch on my hands if I don't seriously get going. (And I volunteered to babysit the guild's donation quilt at an event this weekend, so there goes several hours of work time.)

Honestly, if I can just get to the quilting stage I will feel much better. It's this dragging along on finishing the tops that's killing me. I think I even know how I'm going to quilt them - fairly randomly, on both of them, but on the zipper quilt I'm going to do more or less what they showed in the book, which was a sort of horizontal, loopy thing. And for the autumn leaves I'm going to try to suggest wind. (Ideally, it should feel like my nice neat pattern is going to blow away any minute!)

And hmm, quilting thread... I haven't even thought much about that. I'm going to have to check and see what kind of variegateds I can find!


Oh, and regarding the zipper quilt, somewhere down in my comments from a couple of weeks ago, there is a comment from Bill and Weeks (who wrote the book it's from) complimenting me on my color choices, which pleases me no end.




Later:
Is it weird that I just abandoned the leaf quilt when it was so close to finished? When I reread what I wrote, it seems kind of odd to me! I can't even really remember why - I think just mostly because I got all involved in the zipper quilt.


And one more thing: for those of you who don't already know this (I didn't!), there's a new Fab Shop Hop starting tomorrow and running all through March.

No comments: