Sunday, October 02, 2005

zipper blocks


12 zipper blocks
Originally uploaded by Mellicious.

I was complaining about how hard the zipper blocks were to put together at the retreat, but interestingly, I had a much easier time yesterday on my mom's Janome than I was having on the Jem. Apparently whatever I was calling a quarter-inch seam on the other machine wasn't.


(In case you're thinking that that doesn't look like a very hard block - I didn't think so either, until I tried it. It's the "teeth" that aren't as simple as they look. They are 1-1/2 x 2-1/2" pieces, and if you don't make the seams pretty darn accurate, they don't fit. I think I have a habit of sewing scant seams, and my teeth strips kept coming out too big at first. I should've paid more attention to Anita's advice about this quilt!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, your zipper blocks are beautiful! I love the colors. I also had a little trouble with the teeth part too. Mine were also coming out just a tiny bit big (how scant is scant?). I can't wait to see more!

Mel said...

On the ones that were coming out too big, I went back and sewed just inside the first seamline, and that was enough to fix it, pretty much. So it doesn't take being off very much, I guess!

Balwearie said...

From here it looks fabulous! I love your colour choices. I finally bothered to measure exactly where 1/4" was on my Viking and was surprised that it was a bit smaller than I thought. If I don't sew too late into the night things fit together nicely.