Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Seagrapes - and quilt shows

Seagrapes

"Seagrapes" (above) made by Sarah Louise McClean of Fort Lauderdale; entered in the judged show (category: Art-Naturescapes) at the 2007 Houston International Quilt Festival.


I was thinking about making a list of upcoming big quilt shows, and I haven't really gotten very far yet (and you don't know with me whether I ever will!), but FYI, here's the ones for this year from the quiltfest.com people:

Feb 21-24: Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, Hampton, Virginia
Feb 28-Mar 2: Quilt Festival of New Jersey, Somerset, NJ
May 1-4: Denver National Quilt Festival, Denver, CO
Sept 4-7: Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, Harrisburg, PA
Sept 18-21: World Quilt and Textile on Tour, Manchester, NH
Oct 16-19: Pacific International Quilt Festival, Santa Clara, CA
Nov 13-16: Greater Chicago Quilt Expo, Schaumberg, IL

I seem to have the jones to go to a quilt show. I actually went so far as to look up how much the fare would be to fly to Norfolk on the 22nd. (The cheapest on Southwest was $357 round-trip, which isn't TOO too horrible, but I'm not sure how my husband would react if I decided just to fly halfway across the country all suddenly like that!) What I think I'd really like to do is to plan something for this summer. Then I'm like, do I want to ask my aunt to come with me? Do I want to go by myself? I don't really mind doing stuff like that by myself. Sometimes it's easier - you can just do what you want to do and not worry about pleasing anybody else, you know?

Anyway, that decision can come later, if I ever even get that far. I came up with summer because we're going to Ohio in April already and I don't want to schedule myself too heavily. What quilt shows are in the summer? I know Columbus is, but my mother-in-law would kill me if I came to Columbus and didn't go see her. What else? Sisters, but that would be awfully expensive. And I guess there's that new Quilts Inc one in California, too. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? (Is there someplace where there's already a calendar?) I may have to do some more research!

3 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

A couple more shows worth mentioning:
http://www.quiltodyssey.com/
Hershey, PA July 24-27
http://www.qhconline.com/
Lancaster, PA March 27-30

Mel said...

Thanks! I have been adding stuff - I looked up IQF, AQS, Road to California and a couple more already. (I'm not adding to the list I posted before, though - I'll post the more complete one tonight or tomorrow instead.) I'm sure this part will end up in the next entry too, but I called my aunt earlier, and we are thinking we may go to the NQA show. Even if it does piss off my mother-in-law. (She'll live.)

Quilting Pirate said...

Don't forget Paducah, KY in April and Lancaster, PA in March as well :D

I'm going to Hamptons with my quilt shop....the owner is working by herself and letting all the employees go on the bus!! I can't wait!