Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Wow, a guild report

I haven't been to quilt guild in ages, but I went last night. I wanted to see the speaker, and I also thought it might be easier to go now and get it over with, if you know what I mean. I thought if I avoided it now I might tend more to avoid it later, somehow. But it was alright. Not everybody knows me well enough to immediately make the connection, and I'd already seen a lot of the ones who did at the funeral. I have had this fear - I had it before the funeral, too - that I would burst into tears every time somebody told me about how much they loved my mother and how special she was and stuff, but it mostly turns out that I don't, so that makes it somewhat easier. Thinking about it beforehand made me cry, but when it happens (and it's happened quite a lot - people did really love my mother and she was special) I finally realized that all I have to do is just smile and say "thank you."

So anyway, the speaker was Yvonne Porcella. (I love a lot of her quilts, but oddly, I don't seem to have any pictures of them at all. There's a gallery at the link above, though.) She was an interesting speaker, if maybe not the greatest one I've ever seen. However, she has been quilting forever - 1962! she doesn't look old enough to have been quilting in 1962, even assuming she was pretty young then - and she has some good stories, like how she made a Julia Child tribute quilt, and got to meet her. Also, I think she is the only professional quilter I've ever heard talk who admits to working the way I do! - that is, without a plan or a pattern, although it sounds like she takes it much further than I do, really. I'm glad I went.


2 comments:

Katjaquilt said...

I know that you are travelling hard times and it no shame to cry in such moments. And many of them would also cry. But you have something in commom, you lost a person you loved and was someone special for you. You lost your mom and they lost a fellow quilter. They are on your side and someday you all will be able to share and laugh about stories your mom was involved.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My mom and I did a lot of things together, and after she passed away in '04, I had to force myself to go to church, knowing that it was my mother's church more than my own. It has become my church now, and I am me instead of "Muriel's Daughter." You will always miss her, but it will get easier.