Monday, February 26, 2007

Slightly-more-than-five-dollar quilt


This was a "five-dollar quilt" at one of the local quilt shops a couple of years ago. There were two different variants and my mother made both of them. I think they ended up costing quite a lot more than $5, because as I recall the bluework patterns were extra, and the fabric kit for the other colorway may have been extra too - I'm not sure about that. I brought both of them home with me yesterday, because while she had them both professionally quilted, they still don't have bindings on them. This one was meant for my sister, and I'm sure she has forgotten about its existence, so maybe I will give it to her next Christmas or something. (That sounds like enough time for me to finish it, at the rate I've been working lately!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you I am very much enjoying the quilts you're showing that your mama made. It's a really wonderful tribute to her. I feel very sentimental about them, and even a little as though I knew her. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I feel you can tell things about someone by their handiwork.

Love, selko

Anonymous said...

that's really beautiful. an usual layout / set of blocks. i'm sure it will be a very special thing for your sister to get. :) and you get to spend some time thinking about your mom while you finish it! it's a win win. truly lovely!