Saturday, June 03, 2006

Nancy Crow and the Solids Problem

I can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but I've had the idea for a while that I was going to take a Nancy Crow class sometime in the next few years, ever since I found out that where she teaches is near Columbus. (We fly to Columbus fairly regularly to visit the in-laws.) But I just don't know if it's ever going to work out. It's a 5-day class, first of all, which means it's (a) expensive and (b) more complicated than just parking my husband someplace for the day. I'm sure that it would be great - no matter which one of the classes I took - but then I looked at the supply list, and oh. my. god. 60-100 solids??? You guys, I just don't do solids. I do have a couple of yards of black pima cotton, I think, but that's it. I don't think I own more than a few scraps of solids other than that. I would have to spend the entire next 10 months collecting solids in order to take this class in April.

(I was thinking about this - do you know why I don't do solids, mostly? Because every time I've tried to, they ravel like crazy. And they make me crazy. I hate fabrics that ravel. Is it excessive to spend twice as much on something that reads solid but isn't? Maybe. But it keeps me sane.)

1 comment:

Mel said...

Incidentally, I got an e-mail suggesting that I get around this by dyeing my own fabric. Part of me thinks that's a great idea, and then again... I live with my husband in a one-bedroom apartment which is already full of fabric, books, beads, buttons and other crafting paraphenalia. Can you imagine if I tried to add dyeing equipment to that?