Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Floral quilts

I said I was going to talk about my favorite quilt books at some point, but right now I'm going to talk about my mom's. A lot of our favorite books are the same, really, but our tastes are a good bit different when it comes to specific quilts. My mom really, really loves florals. I like florals, but not the way she does. She adores them. She went through a watercolor phase which she seems to be mostly over (watercolor quilts are a pain to make so I don't blame her!) but she has found different ways to work with florals. And one of her favorite books is Blended Quilts from In the Beginning:



(There are a couple of sequels to this book, incidentally. Blended Quilts II is pretty good, by all accounts, but nobody seems to be too crazy about Blended Wall Quilts, for some reason.)

Anyway, I do like this book, myself. The quilts are low-contrast and sort of old-fashioned looking, but in a good way. I haven't made a blended quilt myself, so far, but I might sometime.


It's sort of a shame I've already gotten my mom's birthday present, because Focus on Florals looks like it would be right up her alley:



I haven't seen inside it, but the cover quilt is really pretty. I'll have to take a look at it the next time I go in a quilt shop.

No comments: