Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Shhh...


Daddy's Shirts, originally uploaded by Mellicious.

If you know my cousins and you're reading this, don't tell them about any of this, because one of them is getting this quilt for Christmas!! (I don't have any reason to think she reads here, but her mother might.) I have been looking for this quilt ever since Mama died, and and I finally found it, in the very very back of the last closet I emptied - behind the ski boots and the bad oil painting, in a paper bag underneath a quilt I really dislike. Mama hid it well, although I doubt that she did it on purpose. I didn't even look in the bag at first, because what was on top was so unprepossessing.

Anyway, this is a quilt made over 10 years ago, shortly after my grandfather died, out of fabric cut from several of his shirts. There is one of my cousins in particular who I know would treasure this, so she's the one who's getting it. Anybody else who thinks they know who I'm talking about, just hush up til Christmas, ok?

Quilt made by Billie Standley, in memory of her father, W.C. Novosad.

No comments: