Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mother Earth and her Children

Made by Sieglinde Schoen Smith of Carlisle, Pennsylvania; winner of Best of Show (and a $10,000 prize) at the 2006 Houston International Quilt Festival. (Entered in the category Art-Whimsical.)

I was looking at my "recent activity" page on flickr - it shows comments and what pictures people have favorited and so forth, it's always interesting to check - and one of the pictures of this quilt popped up. There are a bunch of pictures of this quilt starting here. At quilt festival last fall, I kept taking more pictures of it every time I went by. I can't say that I was all that impressed by it the first time I looked at it, but the more I looked the more impressed I got. The quilter was there, off & on, for one thing, and she showed the book the design came from - it was an old children's book, I believe she said she had it when she was a child. And she was very emphatic about the fact that every bit of the work in this was done by hand. Be sure and look at all the detail pictures if you have a chance, because the workmanship is really wonderful.

Carolyn started a Flickr pool for quilt festival pictures. Several people have already been adding stuff, so check it out!

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

She did the same thing at Lancaster - I had to go back after lunch to get my photos...

The Calico Cat said...

Oh I forgot - I am Aviva-Hadas...

Mel said...

Aha! I was wondering who that was who had all those pretty quilts over on Flickr!

Amanda May said...

I think that is from a book by Elsa Beskow! How wonderful! I used to love her books as a child, they always had such beautiful and detailed illustrations - very impressive that someone could translate that into fabric!