Saturday, April 01, 2006

Quilty things

I went to the guild's spring retreat today, just for the day. I'm sort of sorry I didn't go for the whole weekend, but I still had fun. And guess what - the zipper quilt is finished! 100% done, finito. Label, sleeve, binding - everything, all done. (Now I have 3-1/2 weeks to finish the other one.)

I didn't take my camera today and I was sorry, because people were working on some really cute things and I can't share. A bunch of people were doing a mystery quilt - it was a pretty complicated one, but some of them had been working on it since yesterday morning and at least one had a completed top. Three or four other people were working on gorgeous Judy Niemeyer patterns (including this one, which I'd never seen before and which I really like), and of course, there were other people working on various other things. One of the bees has started doing Dear Jane quilts, and the girl across the table from me was working on that. (She did two while I was there. Only two hundred and fifty-something to go!) This retreat is not as big as the one I always go to in the fall in central Texas, but sometimes smaller is good. For one thing, everybody at the fall retreat is spread out all over the place, and at the spring retreat everybody is pretty much in one big room, so you can see what everybody is working on. (At one point, I was pretty much walking up to people and demanding that they show me what they were working on. In my defence, I was tired, by that time. And the stuff they were doing was really interesting!)

Yesterday I went over to Mom's. We ended up going to the quilt store so that I could get Printed Treasures fabric or the equivalent thereof to make labels with. (I'll have to check and get the name of the one I bought, because it worked very nicely.) I also, while I was at it, bought 2-1/2 yards of brown tone-on-tone floral to use for the back and binding of the autumn leaf quilt. Two and a half yards is probably overkill, but I figured better safe than sorry. Especially since I'm sort of in a hurry!

(This also means that I am still technically in the running for Use What You Have month, since yesterday was still March. I never did officially sign up for the Use What You Have project, anyway, but I am going to try to abide by it. Anyway, everything I bought yesterday was extremely necessary!!)

When I pulled the autumn leaves quilt out, it was not as far along as I was thinking it was. I had to sew the last few loose blocks together, and then start sewing that to the rest of the sections. I still have a couple of seams to sew to get the main part of the top done, before I start on the border again. I think I can make it, though!


No comments: