Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Learning applique the nonconsensual way

My mother brought her applique with her to the hospital, but since she can't use her right hand too well, she hasn't been able to do much. She tried doing it left-handed, but I guess she didn't get far. So Saturday when I was there, she decided that I should do it for her. I have only done a tiny bit of hand applique and I really don't have much desire to do more - it just doesn't appeal to me. By which I mean that doing it doesn't appeal to me; I like looking at other people's finished products just fine. For some reason, however - I guess because she likes doing it - she thinks that if I would just learn how, I would like doing it too. And she thinks that maneuvering me into doing hers for her is the way to get me to learn. But the thing is, even if I did, what I do at night is fiddle around on the computer, and if I didn't I would probably read, so I'm not looking for anything to keep my hands busy at night. I did start her block for her, and it looks pretty decent, and I really didn't even mind doing it, but I can't say I've been seized with the desire to do more. (And really? The best part of it was, I got to say to the visitors who came in while I was doing it, "She's forcing me to do applique!")

2 comments:

KarenD said...

Maybe you just need to watch more tv--that's my time to hand applique. Not that I have a project in the works right now, but when I do I pretty much only sew on it when we're watching shows we've taped. Or maybe I need to stop watching so much stuff I don't think merits my full attention--but then I'd never get my hand sewing done and all my quilts would go label-less.

Mel said...

See, that's the thing - I can see the TV from the computer. If I couldn't it would be different!