Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Quilting space

So I have been seeing this book around, but it looked like it was intended for people who could afford all those expensive built-in fixtures.



(In case the fancy link-with-picture up there doesn't work for you, what I'm talking about is this: Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space: Sewing-Room Makeovers for Any Space And Any Budget)

But then again, it says right there on the cover that it's for all budgets. So which is it? Has somebody looked at this book? Is it any good to someone who's not about to go spend a lot more on the sewing room? My husband was none too happy with me about buying 2 $100 bookcases, so clearly the budget is pretty seriously limited for my sewing room. I do have a couple of good pieces of furniture that I'm starting out with, anyway. I don't actually need to be buying a lot of expensive stuff.


I mentioned this on a Livejournal list earlier today, but just in case: there are - or were - apparently at least a few rooms available at the convention center Hilton (the Hilton Americas, it's called) in Houston for at least some of the dates of the Quilt Festival. If you're in the market for such a thing, it might be worth checking out. I had booked a room at the Four Seasons and I switched over - much as I love the Four Seasons, the Hilton is slightly cheaper, much closer and very nearly as nice.

5 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

A. I am not ready to "arrange" my sewing space... So I have not looked at that book.

B. I am staying at the cheapest (by price) location in Houston for the show... Chez Dad. :o) The two men in my life sharing about my fallings might make it too expensive emotionally. When will you be there? We only get to go Wed. night & Thursday.

Kim West said...

The author was a guest speaker at my WA guild last year -she had some great organizing tips (mainly the fabric folding) and how to customize any sewing space to fit your needs. I don't know if I would buy the book, but I would definately check it out from the library.

Rachel said...

I check out the book from the library. It was a good. However, I'm glad I didn't buy it. I don't think I'd refer to it a lot.

Whatever you do in your sewing room find/install good lighting. I just installed track lighting in my sewing room. It made the world of difference. I love the room even though the room needs paint

Anonymous said...

Lois is speaking at the Houston quilt market and just did a test run of her talk at my LQS. She now has a worksheet that you can buy as well as the book where you cut out all the shapes in your sewing studio and arrange for the best work flow.

Her major points are about fabric folding - folding all your fabric into the same shape - and ergonomics. She has said that some people can reduce the space that stores their fabric as much as 30%, depending on how you store it currently.

Secondly, she spends a lot of time on ergonomics. I think that's where the expensive cabinets come into play. She measures your sitting height (for sitting at your sewing machine), cutting height and pressing height. So, it's not so much about spending money, but making your sewing space the most efficient, organized and ergonomic for you... so that you can spend more time sewing and less time looking for what it is that you want to sew, or less time recovering from your aching back because you were sitting at the right height for your body.

She also has a web site and does personal consultation - as much or as little as you want or need.
http://www.clearview-designs.com/

Hope that helps!

Mel said...

As far as B goes, I will be there Saturday and Sunday, looks like. So no overlap, darnit.

And I bought two quilting books yesterday and neither one of them was this one. (I will have to post later about what I did buy.)

Thanks, Anita, for the recap!