Sunday, December 17, 2006

Here There Be Dragons

And Dragons Too

This quilt is "And Dragons Too" by Suzanne Marshall of Clayton, Missouri; shown in the judged show (category: Innovative Applique, Large) at the 2006 Houston International Quilt Festival. I wrote down - presumably from the posted notes - that this is based on late 19-century designs by William de Morgan.

And Dragons Too

(I don't have very good detail pictures of these, I'm afraid - this was part of a batch of pictures that were rather blurry. Usually that means that I've knocked the camera around and messed up the settings. So I didn't upload the biggest version because it was also the blurriest.)

Suzanne Marshall seems to be fond of fairy-tale motifs, and so am I, so I have a number of pictures of her quilts. (Here, here, and here.) And here is her website - turns out that she also did the Bedbugs quilt, which I remember admiring a lot, way back when. (Before I started taking pictures, apparently!) Be sure and take a good look at it - it appears to be a very traditional quilt, but it is a little deceptive.

No comments: