Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Summer Rentals


Summer Rentals
Originally uploaded by Mellicious.

Quilt above made by Martha Walker of Arizona; entered in the category Mixed Technique the 2005 International Quilt Festival.

Added: QNM has posted foundation patterns for this quilt - here.

I have been slacking on the exchange blocks, and I'm running out of time. I have six more blocks to do and only 4 weeks or so to do them in - although there are a good many more subunits made than that. I have got to get seriously going this weekend - or else I'm going to have to break my custom and work on them at home. (What a concept.)

I have been doing some planning, and even a little bit of research, for the Day of the Dead quilt. I looked at several webpages about how it's celebrated in Mexico (rather than, you know, in Austin) and that gave me some ideas. For example, it's traditional to make floral arches out of marigolds, so I want to work marigolds into it somehow - I'm thinking either as an arch or some other kind of a surround for the quilt. I have no idea whether I'm talking applique flowers, or beaded flowers, or what, though.

1 comment:

Shelina said...

hmmm, in watching Bollywood videos, looks like marigolds are good for weddings too in India. Can't remember what flowers were used at funerals, if any. There aren't quite as many movies about them.