Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Best beginner book?



People ask me once in a while what book I'd recommend for beginners, and while I don't think this book is the definitive beginner book, it's a good one. I didn't really learn from books as much as I learned by watching, but I did use this book early on and it was a lot of help. It has some easy quilts (as well as some more advanced ones) and some very good instructions.


I can't recommend it personally, incidentally, but another book that lots of other people have recommended as a beginner book is Carol Doak's:



What's your favorite beginner book?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

quilts quilts quilts is the first one i ever got. but i'm not sure if i was at real beginner stage at that point, having received multitude of instructions from my mom. :) it's good on piecing, maybe not so much on the actual 'quilting'.

the harriet hargraves/sharon something "the art of classic quiltmaking" is really good because for each quilt it shows you a few different techniques for the same thing (i.e., with flying geese for example, gives you a few different ways to form the basic shape. cutting all triangles, cutting rectangles and squares, etc).

Anonymous said...

Hello! It wasn't my first book (learned in a class), but one that I think has great simple clear instructions is Sweet and Simple Baby Quilts by Mary Hickey. And thinking of small projects would be great for any beginner (and actually finishing!)...many of the projects in the book could be thought of as lap quilts too.