Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Bermuda triangle?

Here's what I worked on at the retreat:
1. Pinwheels. I started doing this a while back because I had tons of strips and all those Thangles I bought at the quilt festival - 2" and 4" pinwheels, which means 1" and 2" half-square triangles.
2. Units for the batik blocks - squares in squares and flying geese, mostly. I have four of these left to make, but at least I have pieces of it done!
3. 5" versions of the 4" sampler blocks that are in the Ohio Star quilt, for a new project. They're red, and they came out really pretty. 5" blocks lets me go all the way up to 1.25" instead of 1" for the triangles. I made some of them the traditional way and some with 1.5" Thangles that I cut down. I really am sort of disillusioned with the Thangles, in that I can't see that they're much faster than the traditional way. Anyway, I think I came out with 10 blocks done, of the 12 I need. (I finally had to stop because all those damn triangles were making me nuts.) So I started cutting pieces for...
4. The mythical green quilt that I've been talking about doing for months. I'm cutting - you guessed it - triangles, and they're going to be all of 4" - can you believe it? I spent a couple of hours on Saturday night and another four hours on Sunday just cutting squares. I'm using all different shades of green. I'm really going to like the look, I can tell already.

Apparently, I am now known in my guild as the Tiny Triangle Lady.

2 comments:

KarenD said...

Disillusioned with Thangles? Say it ain't so--I love my Thangles, especially for doing the small stuff, where there's no way I want to deal with triangles that tiny. (Maybe now with your new moniker I can send them to you to do?) I think I end up with more accurate piecing when I use them, though maybe not in less time.

What traditional method(s) do you usually use?

Mel said...

The traditional way is the one with the dreaded 7/8" math. So I've heard people say, anyway. I've never figured out what's so difficult about that, really, and I'm not exactly a math genius. Anyway, I actually cut mine a full inch larger than I want my HSTs to be, since I like to have plenty of room to work with when I square them up - and you draw a line down the middle and sew a 1/4" seam on each side of the line. You know, THAT traditional way.