Friday, March 11, 2005

Jewels of the Sea


Storm-at-Sea in batiks. Another one of my mom's. (It's draped over a box in that picture, which is why the perspective looks wonky.)

I love those colors, which are what my mother considers "jewel tones" - which started a whole family argument. What constitutes jewel tones? My mother maintained that it was only blue, green, and purple. But you can't say that ruby's not a jewel, can you? I consider all really deep bright colors to be jewel tones, really - red definitely, but even fuchsia and gold. (Although there's no natural jewel that's fuchsia that I know of. Those pink CZs that you see places like QVC definitely do not qualify as natural.)

3 comments:

KarenD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KarenD said...

Now that Blogger has decided to let me comment again, I can say that these rubies definitely look fuschia-esque to me.

Balwearie said...

What a beeeautiful selection of fabrics for storm-at-sea. I believe you are correct in saying that jewel tones are... the colours of jewels (such as rubies or garnets). For the most part, they are the rich, clear colours of the more rare gemstones. That said, I still looooove your mother's quilt. I'm planning to make a small storm-at-sea quilt for my brother. I might get it finished when he retires from the Navy. Hopefully!