Sunday, February 13, 2005

(Semi-)Weekly report

I know I didn't write anything last week, but there wasn't a whole lot to write. I did get two blocks made, though, so I have 5 of the Ohio Star blocks. They are coming out very nicely. Mom hasn't really gotten a lot done in the interim, either, because she's going to radiation therapy and still to all three kinds of rehab, so she doesn't have a lot of time left for quilting right now. She is working on that fall batik block-exchange we are both doing - I think she has about 7 blocks out of the 12 finished.

(I don't think that I ever said this, but I went to Quilts by the Bay one day last month and bought enough batiks to do all my blocks for that exchange, but I haven't actually started making them. I did work up a sample on EQ so I'll have to remember to post it as soon as I find it. I reformatted my hard drive last week and a lot of my data is still on CDs.)

Oh, I told my mom that if she wanted the pattern I won (see previous entry), she could have it, and she did. She absolutely loved it, actually, and wants me to see if there are any more in that series that she can buy. (As I have said before, I think that those prizes tend to be really good marketing tools. That was on the occasion when my mother's entire bee went out and bought copies of a book that I had won.)

Anyway, yesterday I decided to take a break from Ohio Stars and see if I had enough of the string blocks to make a community service quilt, and I did. So I assembled 9 of the 12" blocks (so it was actually 36-6" blocks) and started making a Chinese Coins border for it. I know that last year the place we were sending the community service quilts requested ones that were around 40" square, so that's what I'm shooting for. (Although I'm putting a 4" border all the way around so it will actually be a little bigger than that.) Making Chinese Coins is rather fun - that may influence me into doing one for the Maple Leaf quilt as well, whenever I finally get back to that.

Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

No comments: