Monday, December 20, 2004

Quiltin' the night away

After work today, I drove up to the mainland and collected my mother (who isn't allowed to drive right now) and we went to the quilt guild Christmas party. They changed it up this year - in the past it has been sort of a pot-luck thing, and it was always a zoo and there was a ton of food and sometimes some sort of entertainment. (The best of the past entertainment was Ricky Tims, who we've had a couple of times. He is a lot of fun. If it was up to me, I'd have him every year. Although I suppose that would get old eventually.)

This year, they decided to dispense with pot-luck and have the dinner catered. The guild has plenty of money, quite frankly, so they paid about half and the members had to pay the other half. (A big $7.) It was very nice, I thought. There were a lot of people there but it didn't seem as chaotic as it usually does. Maybe because people weren't worrying about their food that they brought, I don't know. The food was mostly just finger-food but it was good. They had meatballs and stuffed jalapenos and mini-cheese-balls and chocolate fondue with stuff to dip in it, and fruits and vegetables, and more stuff that I'm forgetting, including several desserts. And they had harpists playing, a whole troop of them, which was lovely although it was hard to hear them over the sound of 200 women all talking at once. (There were a few men there. They may have been talking, too, but they were so outnumbered you couldn't hear them.)

After the food, we had the actual meeting, which isn't much to talk about. They installed officers and had some little presentations by representatives of organizations we've donated money and quilts to (which was more interesting than I would have expected, actually) and they gave out door prizes, and we actually won one! Mom and I had sort of mixed up our tickets so it's not really clear which one of us won it, but since most of our quilt stuff other than fabric is all mixed together anyway, it doesn't much matter who it belongs to. The prize was a full set of blocks of the month - Ohio Stars - complete with fabric, so that is a pretty nice prize. Mom says she doesn't want to do it so I guess that means I will. Somehow I'm sort of in the mood to do something more structured, anyway.

No comments: