Sunday, October 24, 2004

Weekly report

I've started working on the string quilt, finally. I did a little bit on this last week, although I don't think I remembered to mention it. I have a photo of 16 blocks I'll put up later. I actually have 18 blocks done, which sounds good except that this is 6" blocks so I'm going to have to make a good many - I'm thinking 80 blocks, which would make a 48x60" quilt. This is the first time I've tried making a string quilt with a common fabric, and so far I really like it. I also made my last one without a foundation, but I'm using one this time. It's much easier. (I think last time I just starched the crap out of it hoping that would help the bias edge problem, and it worked ok, but I'm really trying to avoid using a ton of starch on things these days.)

If you're wondering about the autumn leaf quilt, well, it's obviously not going to be finished this autumn anyway - and for that matter I said from the beginning that it probably wouldn't. I'll probably come back to it pretty soon but I'm not in any particular hurry about finishing it. The string quilt is a gift and thus has a deadline.

I didn't ever post to say that I skipped quilt guild last week - I didn't feel well at all that day, my allergies have really flared up in the last week or so. I hear the speaker was good, though.

And I keep thinking the quilt show (i.e., Houston) is this week, but it's not, darnit. I guess Market starts a week from tomorrow. I'm taking the Thursday and Friday of next week off - the 4th and 5th, I think? I can't wait.

No comments: